Our mission is to enhance the community through the administration of a fair and unbiased code compliance program.
Who we are...
- The Code Enforcement Division team is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for the residents of San Juan Capistrano.
- We protect the public health, safety, and welfare through the enforcement of local laws and regulations adopted by the San Juan Capistrano City Council which serve as community standards.
- Ensuring compliance with these standards we help to reduce vandalism, deter crime, maintain property values, and prevent deterioration of neighborhoods.
- We actively work with citizens and neighborhood groups to provide public education on city code requirements.
- Potential violations are discovered through citizen complaints and referrals from other agencies or departments.
- Once a violation is identified, the responsible party is issued a notice providing reasonable time to correct the issue.
- Periodic follow-up inspections may be conducted to determine if compliance has been met.
- If compliance has not been achieved, additional time may be provided depending on the circumstances and severity of the violation.
- A great deal of emphasis is placed on obtaining voluntary compliance. However, if a responsible party fails or refuses to voluntarily comply with city codes then a citation may be issued. The citation may be civil or criminal, depending on the circumstances. A civil citation may result in fines of no less than $100 per violation and increase to a maximum of $1,000. A criminal citation is a Class 1 misdemeanor which is punishable by fines and probation.
Monday - Saturday (949) 443-6341 or (949) 443-6344